Built by Raja Surajmal in the mid-18th century, Bharatpur Fort (also known as Lohagarh Fort) was virtually impregnable. The name Lohagarh literally means “Iron Fort.” It had two formidable concentric ramparts, each surrounded by a moat 149 feet wide and 60 feet deep. The outer wall, about 7 miles long, took eight years to construct. What’s more, being a mahi durg, or mud fort, Lohagarh’s thick walls were able to absorb even the most furious of artillery barrages. The cannon balls would simply sink into the mud walls, to be collected later and used against the enemy. As a result, the fort stood up to several attacks by the Mughal armies and no less than four attacks by the British before it finally fell. Lohagarh’s outer ramparts were demolished by the British after the Treaty of 1818, but the inner battlements remain, punctuated by two massive towers commemorating two great victories of the Bharatpur armies: Jawahar Burj and Fateh Burj. At Jawahar Burj do not miss the iron “victory column” bearing the inscriptions of the geneology of the Jat kings. There are two imposing gates to Lohagarh: in the north is the historic Ashtadhati Gate, with its huge, rounded bastions and war elephants painted on either side, and in the south, Loha Gate.