Murg ki Kadi
(An unusual Chicken preparation from the desert, with yogurt and spices).
Recipe by Sumit Sinha, Chef at Taj Jai Mahal Palace, Jaipur
1 iron griddle
1 small bowl
1 mixing bowl
1 transparent glass serving dish
Boneless chicken – 32 oz. cut into 1” cubes
Asafoetida – a pinch
Green chilies – 0.4 oz.
Cumin seeds – 0.2 oz.
Onion paste – 4 oz.
Coriander - 1 oz.
Garlic paste – 2 oz.
Oil – 6 oz.
Water – 600 ml.
The Yogurt Mixture:
Gram flour – 2 oz.
Yogurt – 16 oz.
Turmeric – 0.2 oz.
Red chili powder – 0.2 oz.
Salt – to taste
Water – 800 ml.
1. Roast half the cumin seeds on a hot iron griddle, cool, put in a grinder and powder.
2. Whisk the yogurt in a bowl; add gram
flour, red chilies, turmeric and salt and mix well. Add 800 ml of water and whisk again. Keep to one side.
3. In a wok heat 2 oz. of oil and cook the onions until soft and light pink in color. Remove wok from the fire and remove onions into a small bowl. Wash, clean and dry the wok for further use.
4. Heat the oil in a wok, add cumin seeds and asafoetida, sauté over medium heat until the seeds begin to crackle.
5. Add the chicken pieces and salt and cook until evenly browned on all sides. Now add the onions and garlic paste and brown for a
further 5 minutes.
6. Now add 600 ml of water and bring to a boil; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the chicken is almost tender.
7. Add the yogurt mixture and bring to a boil once again; reduce to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy starts getting thick (8-10 minutes approximately).
8. Add cumin powder and green chilies, stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
9. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot with plain boiled rice.