Kadhai Paneer - Recipe from Mahipal Singh Rathore
(Batons of cottage cheese and capsicum cooked in a wok, with tomatoes and herbs, prominently flavored with coriander seeds). (Batons of cottage cheese and capsicum cooked in a wok, with tomatoes and herbs, prominently flavored with coriander seeds).
1 serving dish
1 small pan
(All ingredients are easily available at any Indian grocery store in the U.S.)
Cottage cheese – 24 oz.
Coriander seeds – 0.2 oz.
Ginger – 0.6 oz.
Tomatoes – 24 oz.
Garam masala powder – 0.2 oz.
Capsicum – 5 oz.
Whole red chilies – 5
Fenugreek leaves – a pinch
Salt – to taste
Green coriander – 0.6 oz.
Clarified butter or oil – 1.41 oz.
1. Cut cottage cheese into cubes.
2. Wash capsicums, remove stems, cut into halves, deseed and make juliennes.
3. Scrape, wash and chop two-thirds of the ginger, cut the rest into juliennes for garnishing.
4. Clean, wash and chop the coriander.
5. Grind the red chilies and coriander coarsely in a grinder.
6. Finely chop the tomatoes, spoon two tablespoons of oil into a small pan and heat, then add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the liquid of the tomatoes is reduced and the fat floats on top. Remove the pan from the fire.
7. Heat the oil in a wok, add capsicum and sauté over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the ground red chilies and coriander seeds, as well as the chopped ginger and stir for 30 seconds.
8. Now add the cooked tomatoes to this mixture, bring to a boil and brown until the fat leaves the masala (cooked spice mixture).
9. Add the cottage cheese and stir gently for two to three minutes.
10. Sprinkle fenugreek and garam masala, stir again. Adjust the seasoning.
11. Move to serving dish, garnish with ginger juliennes and chopped green coriander. Serve hot.