Designed by Sir Samuel Swinton Jacob, Lalgarh Palace was built between 1902 and 1926. The building was commissioned by Maharaja Ganga Singh in memory of his father. It is coated in red sandstone and has several grand halls, lounges, cupolas and pavilions. The building features magnificent pillars, elaborate fireplaces, Italian colonnades and intricate lattice and filigree work. The palace houses the Shri Sadul Museum as well as a large collection of Sanskrit manuscripts—the Anup Sanskrit Library. Though the Bikaner Royal Family still lives in the palace, part of the building has been converted into a heritage hotel. Peacocks and blooming bougainvillea in the garden welcome the visitor to the palace.