Nahagarh Fort stands on the edge of the Aravali Hills, overlooking the pink city of Jaipur. The view of the city from the fort is breath taking. Along with Amber Fort and Jaigarh Fort it formed a strong defensive ring for the city. It was built in 1734 and extended in 1868. The fort’s thick ramparts and arches make it a superb example of Rajput military architecture. By the 19th century, Nahargarh Fort was converted to more peaceful purposes, and a palace was built here, with delicately cusped arches and ornately frescoed walls. The palace contains suites for the Maharaja and each of his nine queens. All of them are notable for the beautiful florally painted arayish on their walls, which is still amazingly well-preserved. The palace complex is laid out with courtyards and terraces, and a Hawa Ghar (breeze chamber) with a beautiful view of the city.