National Art Gallery
The Government Museum Complex (also known as the Pantheon Complex) houses the Government Museum, Connemara Public Library and the National Art Gallery. Established in 1851, the museum consisting of six buildings and 46 galleries. On display you will find artifacts related to a number of disciplines including archeology, zoology, natural history, sculptures, palm-leaf manuscripts and Amravati paintings. Connemara Public Library is one of the four National Depository libraries which receive a copy of all books, newspapers and periodicals published in India. The Government Museum was established in the year 1857 and has the country’s best collection of South Indian bronzes, both ancient and modern, including beautiful bronze icons of Nataraja, Rama, Sita, Lakshmana and Hanuman. The sculptures were unearthed from the Buddhist ruins at Amaravathi and are housed here. Statues from the 10th and 13th centuries and handicrafts from the 11th and 12th centuries also are seen here. The National Arts Gallery was built in 1907. This magnificent red sandstone building was designed by Henry Irwin and built by T. Namberumal Chetty. The building represents a typical Indo-Saracenic structure and was initially famous as Victoria Memorial Hall. Built with sandstone and adorned with motifs, the building bears impressions of Mughal architecture. The gallery exhibits medieval handicrafts, sculptures, metal ware and paintings belonging to various schools of art. The museum is divided into four galleries: Tanjore Painting Gallery, Decorative Art Gallery, Indian Traditional Art Gallery and Ravi Varma Painting Gallery. Of particular note are the Tanjore paintings on glass and the miniature paintings from the Rajput and Mughal eras.