The district derives its name from Rewa town, the district headquarters, which is another name for Narmada river. The district with present boundary came into existence in 1950 after the promulgation of the Provinces and states (Transfer of ENCLAVES) order 1950. Prior to August 1947 the district along with the Raghurajnagar tahsil of the erstwhile Rewa state correspended to the north Rewa district of that state. The territones now included in the district were held by the imperral Maurya dynasty which ruled in the 3rd century B.C. In the advent of the Kalchurls from the 9th to the end of 12th century.