Safdarjang’s Tomb was built in 1754 in the late Mughal Empire style, and has been described as the last flicker in the lamp of Mughal architecture. The tomb was built for Safdarjung, the powerful Prime Minister of Muhammad Shah (the Mughal Emperor from 1719 to 1748). The central tomb is topped by a huge dome. Four water canals lead from the central tomb to four buildings - one has an ornately decorated gateway, while the other three are pavilions with living quarters built into the walls. Octagonal towers rise from each corner of the central tomb. Sarjdarjang’s Tomb is surrounded by lush gardens entered through an ornate gate decorated with elaborate plaster carvings.