In the days before independence, Shimla was the most important British hill station, and was the summer capital of British India. The British in 1819 A.D first discovered Shimla, but it was not until 1822 A.D that the first permanent house was erected and not until many years later that Shimla became the summer capital. The city is named after the goddess Shyamala Devi, an incarnation of the Hindu Goddess Kali. Pre-independence structures still dot Shimla buildings such as the Viceregal Lodge, Auckland House, Gorton Castle, Peterhoff house, and Gaiety Theatre are reminders of British rule in India. The city is famous for its buildings styled in neo-gothic architecture dating from the colonial era. A collection of paintings, jewelry and textiles of the region can be found at the State Museum (built in 1974). Further out from the city is the Naldehra nine - hole golf course, the oldest of its kind in India.