|Utensils : 2 mixing bowls
Consumption: preferably same day Serves 4
(All ingredients are easily available at any Indian grocery store in the U.S.)
Chicken drumsticks – 2.65 lbs (1.2 kg)
Salt – 0.8oz. (20 grams)
Ginger garlic paste – 1.2oz. (30 grams)
Lemon Juice – 0.75 fl. oz (25 ml)
Plain yoghurt – 4 oz.(100 grams)
Yellow chilli powder – 0.6 oz. (15 grams)
Mustard oil – 0.89 fl. oz. (30 ml)
Roasted chana (garbanzo) powder – 0.8 oz.
Green cardamom powder – 0.4 oz. (10 grams)
Javitri (mace) powder – 0.2 oz. (5 grams)
Garam masala powder – 0.4 oz. (10 grams)
Saffron – 0.02 oz. (0.5 grams)
1. About 2 hours before you begin preparing the kalmi kababs, put yoghurt in thin muslin cloth; tie on the handle of faucet and leave todrain.
2. Mix salt, lemon juice and the ginger garlic paste together to a smooth consistency for marination.
3. Place the chicken in a bowl and coat with the marinade prepared above. Set aside for one hour.
4. Transfer the (drained) yoghurt from the muslin cloth into a bowl and mix it thoroughly with the yellow chilli powder, roasted garbanzo powder, green cardamom powder, saffron,mace powder and garam masala powder.
5. Now coat the chicken with the yoghurt marinade and leave aside for another one hour.
6. Heat grill to medium-low and put chicken drumsticks on skewers.
7. Grill chicken drumsticks, turning as necessary, until fully done.
8. Serve with sliced onions (optional) and mint sauce* (recipe listed below).